- Serves 3-4 (gluten-free)
If you are a fan tandoori chicken tikka, you are going to love this Reshmi chicken kebab recipe. Made with tender chicken thighs, nutty almonds, Greek yogurt and ground spices, these mildly-flavored kebabs are aptly named "Reshmi" for their tender, and delicate silk-like texture.
Ingredients for Reshmi Chicken Kebabs
400g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch strips
3/4 teaspoon sea-salt
1/2 lemon, freshly squeezed
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pounded using a mortar and pestle
1/2 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped or pounded using a mortar and pestle
1 fresh green bird's eye chili, finely chopped or pounded using a mortar and pestle
1 tablespoon ground almonds (almond flour)
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon or to taste chili powder, optional
2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
1-2 tablespoons olive oil, ghee, or butter
1. Sprinkle salt and lemon juice all over chicken and set aside for 15 minutes. Drain excess water from chicken.
2. Place garlic, ginger and chopped green chilies in a mortar and pound away using a pestle until a fine paste comes together. Alternatively, you can finely chop the three ingredients together.
3. To chicken, add ground almonds, yogurt, cream, garlic, ginger, green chili, garam masala, turmeric powder, chili powder, and mint leaves - mix well. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours. Before cooking, remember to bring chicken back to room temperature by leaving it on your counter-top for about 30 minutes.
4. Heat a large cast-iron pan on medium flame. Add a tablespoon of butter and let it melt. Pan-fry chicken in batches making sure not to over-crowd the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until fully cooked and slightly charred on both sides. Alternatively, thread the chicken on metal skewers, brush generously with melted butter and barbecue for 8-10 minutes until fully-cooked and slightly charred all over. Serve hot!
5. Serve alongside salad of your choice (Lentil and Apple Salad) or with warm pitas and hummus.
Note: Remember to scrape the bottom of your pan in between batches to discard any burnt bits stuck to the pan.
Click here for more details.