Lentil and Apple Salad (serves 3)
1 cup dried whole red lentils (or 2 cans cooked lentils)
6 tomatoes on the vine, quartered
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup finely diced green or red bell pepper
1 green apple, cubed
3-4 tablespoons raisins
2 cups arugula leaves
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
4-5 tablespoons Pomegranate molasses (available at Turkish stores)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons crumbled feta, for garnish - optional
1/3 cup pomegranate pearls, for garnish
1. Rinse lentils well and leave to soak in 4 cups water for at least an hour.
2. Next place lentils and water in a saucepan over medium flame until boiling. Reduce heat and cook lentils for 5-10 minutes until al-dente. Drain lentils and set aside to cool.
(If using canned lentils, skip steps 1 and 2. Drain canned lentils and use as below)
3. Chop fruits and vegetables and put them in a large bowl. with cooled lentils and raisins. Refrigerate.
4. To make dressing: whisk together pomegranate molasses, cumin, olive oil, salt and pepper.
5. To serve, mix salad with dressing. Place in a wide serving dish, garnish with crumbled feta and pomegranate pearls; serve chilled.