Vegetable Spring Rolls
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup chinese chives, cut into matchsticks
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 carrots, julienned
2⁄3 cup bamboo shoots or di gua, sliced into matchsticks
1 1⁄2 cups shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons coconut oil plus more for deep frying
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
40 spring roll wraps
1 tablespoon cornstarch or egg white
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok and stir-fry garlic until fragrant, add carrots, bamboo shoots mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 more minute.
2. Add sugar, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar. Stir-fry for two more minutes. Add bean sprouts, chives, stir well.
3. Place in a colander sitting in a bowl, drain and cool. To make a spring rolls, place pastry on the counter, cover the rest of the pastry with a damp tea towel to prevent drying out.
4. Place 1 tbsp of veggie mixture near one pointed corner of the wrapper about an inch away from the corner.
5. Fold the corner over the filling and roll over one time. Fold in the sides, then roll the wrapper all the way down to make spring roll shape.
6. Brush the upper edge of the wrapper with egg white to paste in shut. To cook, heat the oil in a wok or fryer to 375F or until hot, then reduce heat to low-medium.
7. Fry the spring rolls in batches, making sure not to crowd, cooking until they are crispy golden brown about 2-3 minutes.
8. Remove rolls from oil and drain on paper towels. Serve hot with Thai sweet chili sauce.
Note: You can also you leftover liquid from the filling as dipping sauce. Simply add some freshly chopped chili for a kick.