Roasted Pumpkin Hummus
600g pumpkin, chopped into large cubes
Salt and pepper, for sprinkling
Olive oil, for brushing
1 cup dried chickpeas or 3 cups canned chickpeas
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 cup lemon juice
4-6 tablespoons tahini paste
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon sumac or paprika, for garnish
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 180C. Place pumpkin on a baking tray, sprinkle salt and black pepper all over along with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Mix well.
2. Bake for 40-50 minutes until slightly charred on top. Set aside. Wash and soak dry Chickpeas overnight in 6 cups of water (you may use 3.5 cups of water if using a pressure cooker).
3. Bring soaked chickpeas and water to a boil, reduce heat and cook until soft (cooking chickpeas may take about 90 minutes in a saucepan or about 15 minutes in a pressure cooker). 4. Once cooked, cool completely by placing in ice-cold water. If using canned chickpeas, drain water, rinse with cold water and use.
5. Blend together tahini, garlic, cold chickpeas, water, lemon juice, salt and cumin powder until very smooth.
6. While the blender is still running add olive oil in a thin stream until hummus is smooth and creamy.
7. Add cooled pumpkin and continue to blend until smooth. Garnish with sumac and drizzle with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.