1 kg firm white fish (Cod and Sole work well), cut into 2" wide pieces
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 large onion, sliced into rings
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
1 fresh red chili, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
3 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled and puréed OR 500g bottled tomato Passata (tomato purée)
10-15 curry leaves
2-3 tablespoons Kari Ikan powder
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice or tamarind
10 pcs okra, chopped into 1 inch pieces
5-6 tablespoons of oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
1. Sprinkle fish with salt, turmeric and chili powder and set aside for about 15 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a flat non-stick frying pan and fry fish on medium heat until slightly golden brown on both sides (about 5 minutes).
3. Remove fish and set aside.
4. Continue using the same oil for making curry. Using the same pan on medium heat drop in cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, onion and fry for a few minutes until onion begins to soften.
5. Add ginger, garlic, fresh chili and stir-fry until onion starts to brown.
6. Next add Kari Ikan powder, salt followed by tomato puree.
7. Stir well and let it cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat until oil separates and the sauce is smooth.
8. Add a cup of water along with lemon juice/tamarind juice.
9. Bring to a boil. Add okra, fish, cook on low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
10. Add coconut milk, stir gently.
11. Finally garnish with coriander leaves. Bring to a boil. Serve hot with steamed rice.
NOTE: To make tamarind juice, soak 1 tablespoon tamarind paste in 1/2 cup hot water for 30 minutes. Mash tamarind using a spoon. Press through a sieve into a bowl, pressing pulp firmly against the sieve to extract pulp. Discard solids.