Another wonderful thing about Singapore is the ease with which you can find international ingredients everywhere. The next time you are out, look for gochujiang (fermented chili paste) in red plastic tubs in the Korean isle of your nearby supermarket. Better even, request a Korean friend to bring you some homemade Gochujiang from Korea ;) This bright red, fermented chili paste is like an umami bomb waiting to explode. One of our favorite dinner recipes at home is a simple grilled chicken marinated in gochujiang, served with kimchi fried rice. Extremely easy to make and ready within minutes, this mouth-watering duo will leaving you craving for more...
Ingredients for Korean Grilled Chicken with Kimchi Rice
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon Korean chili paste (gochujang)
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
3 grinds black pepper, or to taste
Pinch of sea salt or kosher salt
3 cloves garlic, grated
2 large spring onions or scallions, finely chopped
4 chicken breasts (I buy Australian chicken from THE MEAT CLUB)
Vegetable oil, to brush lightly on grill
3 bowls steamed rice (made with 3x180ml cups of raw rice)
2-3 whole spring onions, chopped
1 cup good quality chopped kimchi
¼ cup kimchi juice (separate the juice from the packet of kimchi, set aside)
¼ cup water
2-3 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chili paste)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 spring onion, chopped
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
4 fried eggs (sunny side up), for garnish
1. In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, vinegar, chili, gochujiang, ginger, sesame oil, sesame seeds, black pepper, salt, garlic and spring onions.
2. Place chicken breast in a large ziploc bag and pour in the marinade, close bag and lightly bash chicken breast with a rolling pin to flatten it a bit (this will help tenderize the chicken).
3. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours and better yet, overnight, to let the flavors infuse.
4. To cook, bring a grill or griddle pan to medium-high heat. Brush lightly with vegetable oil.
5. Shake the excess marinade off the chicken and place on the grill. Cook until cooked through, flipping once, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Let rest in a warm place before slicing. Serve hot with grilled vegetables or kimchi rice.
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large wok
2. Add spring onion bulbs and chopped kimchi and stir fry for about a minute.
3. Add rice, kimchi juice, water, and gochujang.
4. Stir all the ingredients together for a few minutes. Add spring onion greens, stir well. Add sesame oil, stir and remove from heat.
5. Serve 4 portions garnished with fried egg, chopped green onion, sesame seeds and sauce* of choice.
*To make Korean chili mayo, simply mix a teaspoon of Korean chili paste with 2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise.
For more delicious recipes, check out our upcoming hands-on cooking classes in Downtown Singapore.
Click here for more details.
Click here for more details.