500g minced lamb or beef (keema)
250g red onion, chopped
400g tomatoes, pureed
1 cup green peas
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp ginger, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 green cardamoms, pounded in a mortar and pestle
1 fresh chilies, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/4 cup yogurt, at room temperature, whisked well (optional)
1 tsp garam masala
1.5 tsp salt
2 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup coriander leaves, for garnish
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan or wok, add cumin seeds, pounded green cardamoms followed by chopped onions and sauté for a few minutes.
2. Add ginger, garlic, chili and saute for 5-7 minutes until onion is brown. Add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt and mix well.
3. Add tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium flame. Add minced meat and cook on high heat for 4-5 minutes until brown.
4. Stir well so tmeat does not get lumpy.
5. Add 1/2 cup of water, green peas and yogurt and cover and cook for about 30 minutes until meat is fully cooked.
6. Add garam masala powder, lemon juice and stir well.
7. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with naan, ciabatta or steamed rice.