Fattoush Salad with Fried Feta
1 large Tomato, chopped into large cubes
1/2 large red onion, sliced or cubed
1 large cucumber, deseeded and cubed
1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced or cubed
1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced or cubed
flat leaf parsley or mint or coriander leaves, small bunch chopped
2 tablespoons Turkish pomegranate molasses or Turkish plum molasses
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1-2 teaspoon sumac
1/2 teaspoon salt
For Fried Feta:
250g good quality Greek feta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup flour or rice flour
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup light olive oil, for frying
4 heaped teaspoons organic honey
1. Whisk together pomegranate/plum molasses, EV olive oil, and salt; set aside. Place all vegetables in a salad bowl. Sprinkle sumac. Pour dressing. Mix well and serve immediately topped with crispy feta and a drizzle of organic honey
2. To prepare fried feta, start by cutting the feta cheese into 1-inch blocks
3. In a bowl lightly beat the egg and set aside. Into another bowl add the flour. In a third bowl, mix together breadcrumbs and sesame seeds.
4. Roll each piece of feta into the flour. Next roll it into the egg and then in the sesame seed and breadcrumb mix. Set aside.
5. Heat about 1/2 cup olive oil into a frying pan, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan and fry the feta for 1-2 minutes on each side until crispy golden brown. When done, place on some kitchen paper to soak up the extra oil.