6-8 large eggs or 800g fish cut into 2-3 inch pieces
4 large cloves garlic, chopped or pounded in a mortar and pestle
1 inch ginger, chopped or pounded in a mortar and pestle
1 fresh chili, chopped or pounded in a mortar and pestle
500g Italian tomato purée (I use Alce Nero)
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
15-20 fresh curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
1. Place eggs in a saucepan with 4 cups of water, bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 more minutes.
3. Once done, drain water, set aside to cool. Once cool peel eggs and halve. Heat oil in a wok or large saucepan.
4. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, ginger, garlic and chili. Stir-fry for about a minute until fragrant, add tomato purée.
5. Next add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Stir well, cover and cook on medium-high flame for 5-7 minutes.
6. Add 500ml water, stir and bring to a boil.
7. Add halved eggs, stir gently.
8. Finally add garam masala and coriander leaves, stir. Serve hot with steamed rice.
Note: If using fish in this recipe, add fish in step-4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium flame. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until fish cooks through. Finish with garam masala and coriander leaves.