1kg chicken thighs, bone in, de skinned
2 large onions, 1 chopped, 1 sliced
150 g pitted green or red olives
1 bunch coriander, chopped
250 ml (1 cup) water
1 preserved lemon, rind only, rinsed and roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
½ preserved lemon, rind only, rinsed and finely sliced
½ small red chilli
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp chopped coriander
2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 bay leaves, torn in half
½ tsp saffron threads, soaked in a little water
125 ml (½ cup) olive oil
1 tsp salt
1. Combine the marinade ingredients in a food processor and blend until finely chopped and thoroughly combined.
2. Wash and dry the chicken. Place in a bowl and rub with half of the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or ideally overnight.
3. Combine the chopped onion with a little more marinade and spread over the base of a crockpot. Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the onion.
4. Top with sliced onion, and push the olives into the gaps. Combine the remaining marinade with the coriander and water and pour over the top. Decorate with preserved lemon wedges.
5. Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on high heat for 45 minutes until hot and boiling. Reduce setting to low heat and slow-cook for another 1-1.5 hours until sauce thickens and chicken easily fall off the bone.
6. Serve hot with couscous or bread.