Curry is not the only thing I make with whole chicken with bones, but yes it's definitely on top of my list. Packed with Indian green chilies, hot chili powder and blushing Kashmiri chili powder, this curried yogurt dish has become a family favorite and is the perfect way to make use of a whole free range chicken.
For Chicken marinade:
1 whole chicken (I use Australian whole chicken from The Meat Club https://www.themeatclub.com.sg)
1 cups plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 Indian green chili padis, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
For Curry Sauce:
2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
Whole Garam Masala (1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 2 bay leaves, 1 black cardamom, 4 green cardamoms, 6 black peppercorns, 6 cloves)
150g red onion, sliced
1 large tomato, roughly cubed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder (mild chili powder used mainly for adding color to curries)
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup whisked yogurt, at room temperature
1/2 cup Ayam coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
1. Cut whole chicken into chunky pieces, de-skin and set aside. In a large bowl whisk together yogurt, chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt, ginger, garlic and green chilies. Add chicken, mix well and set aside at room temperature for about an hour or refrigerate overnight.
2. On medium-high flame, heat coconut oil in a large heavy base wok or frying pan. Add whole Garam Masala and let cumin seeds splutter.
3. Add sliced onion and sauté until golden brown. Once the onion has changed color, add Kashmiri chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Stir quickly and add marinated chicken.
4. Stir-fry chicken for a few minutes until it is no longer pink.
5. Add whisked yogurt, coconut milk and water. Stir well and bring to a boil.
6. Cover, reduce heat to low flame and simmer for about 15 minutes until chicken
7. Finally, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with crusty bread or