400g boneless chicken thighs, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon ghee
1/2 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1 large carrot, cubed
1/2 cup red split lentils or toor dal
4 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock or water
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 lemon, garnish
crumbled feta, to garnish
rose harissa, to garnish - optional
lightly toasted pide or bread, to serve
1. Heat ghee in a large saucepan.
2. Add chicken and stir-fry for a few minutes until no longer pink.
3. Add onion, carrot, garlic and ginger. Stir-fry until they start to soften, but are not browned.
4. Add lentils and stock along with salt, pepper and turmeric. Bring to a boil.
5. Simmer over gentle heat for about an hour until the lentils are soft. Alternatively, pressure cook for 10 minutes.
6. Plate in individual bowls garnished with some crumbled feta and half a teaspoon of rose harissa in each bowl,. Serve hot with a slice of lemon and some lightly toasted pide or bread of your choice.