Sweet Basil chicken - serves 4
600g boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
1 red bell pepper, cubed
1/2 red onion, cubed
10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1-3 fresh red/green chilies, finely chopped
3 tablespoons oil, for stir-frying
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1.5 teaspoons sugar or 1 tablespoon honey
1 splash of dark soy sauce
1 big handful of Thai holy basil leaves or sweet basil leaves
15-20 roasted cashews
1/2 tablespoon lemon/lime juice
1. Heat oil in a wok on medium-high heat, then add chilies and garlic.
2. Stir-fry them for about 20 seconds until fragrant. Toss in the chicken.
3. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until almost cooked.
4. Add a splash of water if chicken starts getting too dry. Add onions and peppers.
5. Stir-fry for another couple of minutes. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and finally a splash of dark soy sauce.
5. Keep stir-frying for about another 30 seconds. Squeeze in lemon/lime juice.
6. Grab a handful of basil, toss it into the pan, then fold it into the chicken. Immediately turn off the heat; basil really only needs to cook for a few seconds, and it will continue to wilt and cook from the latent heat of the chicken.
7. Overcooking basil will make it chewy and less flavourful. Garnish with roasted cashews and serve with Thai jasmine rice and half-fried eggs.