8 ounces spaghetti (or other) pasta
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup chopped shallots (can substitute onions)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup cream
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp lemon zest (divided into 1 Tbsp and 1 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into bite sized pieces
Fresh ground black pepper
1. Heat a large pot of water to the boil. Add 1tsp salt.
2. Toast pine nuts in a skillet until lightly brown and fragrant, set aside.
3. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta to the pot. Cook uncovered on high heat at a rolling boil. Cool until al dente.
4. Prepare the sauce: In a large skillet heat olive oil on medium heat. Add shallots and garlic, cook for 2 minutes, then add white wine, lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp of lemon zest. Increase heat and boil liquid down to half.
5. If you want slightly creamy sauce, add the cream and let it boil for a minute longer.
6. Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet with the sauce. Add back some of the pasta cooking liquid if pasta is a little dry.
7. Add the smoked salmon, toasted pine nuts, dill, and the remaining lemon zest. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot.