Puff Pastry Baklava
1.5 cups white sugar
1.5 cups water
3/4 cup honey
1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
1 long cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon ground cardamoms
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups unsalted pistachios
1/2 cup walnuts
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 sheets puff pastry, defrosted
dried rose petals, for garnish
1. Place sugar and water in a saucepan and boil over medium-high heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Add cinnamon sticks, ground cardamoms, honey, vanilla, and lemon juice. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until thick. Set aside until lukewarm.
2. While the syrup is simmering, toast the nuts for 10 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 350F/180C. Let them cool, then chop finely.
3. Split one of the puff pastries into 2 halves. Butter the sides and bottom of large baking pan. Place one whole and one half of the pastries to cover the bottom of the pan.
4. Lightly brush the top of the pastries with butter. Spread the nut mixture evenly over the pastry and cover with the other one and a half sheets.
5. Brush the pastries with butter and cut carefully into squares, making sure not to cut it all the way to the bottom of the pan.
6. Bake for 30 minutes at 350F/180C until crispy golden brown on top. Cool it down for 10 minutes before pouring lukewarm syrup evenly all over. Garnish with dried rose petals. Let it cool completely before taking it out of the pan. Serve at room temperature.