Minced Lamb with Thai Basil
2 tablespoons uncooked Thai sticky rice
500g grams minced lamb (minced chicken, pork or beef will also work well, I buy minced lamb from https://www.themeatclub.com.sg/)
5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tablespoon Thai chili powder
1 tablespoon palm sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 - 2 limes (I use the juice from about 1.5 limes)
1 cup shallots, peeled and sliced
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
one large handful Thai basil
1/4 cup roasted peanuts, for garnish
1 red chili padi, for garnish
1. Heat a wok on low heat, toss in Thai sticky rice. Toast the rice for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Let it cool, put it in a stone mortar and pestle. Pound the rice until it turns into a coarse powder (a blender or food processor also works fine). Set it aside.
2. On medium-high flame heat oil in a large wok. Add chopped garlic and fry for about a minute until fragrant.
3. Add minced lamb and stir fry, breaking it into smaller minced pieces, until it’s fully cooked all the way through. Do not overcook as it will toughen.
4. Next add 1 heaping tablespoon of toasted rice powder into the lamb followed by chili flakes, sugar, and fish sauce.
5. Add sliced onions and give it all a good mix. Take it off the heat, add lime juice and finally add Thai basil, stir. Garnish with chopped red chili padi and peanuts. Serve hot with Jasmine rice.