Korean Grilled Chicken with Kimchi Rice
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon Korean chile paste (gochujang)
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
3 grinds black pepper, or to taste
Pinch of sea salt or kosher salt
3 cloves garlic, grated
2 large spring onions or scallions, chopped finely
4 chicken breasts
Vegetable oil, to brush lightly on grill
3 bowls steamed rice (3 cups)
2-3 whole spring onions, chopped
1 cup chopped kimchi
¼ cup kimchi juice
¼ cup water
2-3 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chili paste)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 spring onion, chopped
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
4 fried eggs (sunny side up), for garnish
1. In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, vinegar, chili paste, ginger, sesame oil, sesame seeds, black pepper, salt, garlic and spring onions.
2. Place chicken breast in a large ziploc bag and pour in the marinade, close bag and bash chicken breast with a rolling pin to flatten it a bit (this will help tenderize the chicken).
3. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours and better yet, overnight, to let the flavors infuse.
4. To cook, bring a grill or griddle pan to medium-high heat.
5. Brush lightly with vegetable oil.
6. Shake the excess marinade off the chicken and place on the grill. Cook until cooked through, flipping once, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Let rest in a warm place before slicing. Serve hot with grilled vegetables or kimchi rice.
7. Heat vegetable oil in a large wok
8. Add spring onion bulbs and chopped kimchi and stir fry for about a minute.
9. Add rice, kimchi juice, water, and gochujang.
10. Stir all the ingredients together for a few minutes. Add spring onion greens, stir well. Add sesame oil and remove from heat.
11. Serve 4 portions garnished with fried egg, chopped green onion, sesame seeds and sauce* of choice.
*To make Korean chili mayo simply mix a teaspoon of Korean chili paste with 2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise.