Carrot Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Icing
For 12 regular cupcakes:
225g carrots, peeled and trimmed
2 large eggs
130g caster sugar
120ml corn oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Grated zest of 1 orange (2 teaspoons)
120g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the icing:
85g unsalted butter
177g icing sugar
2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1-2 tablespoon orange juice (if needed)
113g cold cream cheese
1. Preheat the over to 180˚C and line a couple of 12-hole muffin trays with the appropriate size and number of cupcake cases.
2. Finely grate the carrots and drain off any liquid.
3. Combine the grated carrots and raisins in a large bowl using a wooden spoon and put to one side.
4. In a large mixing born beat the eggs and sugar together for several minutes then add the oil, vanilla extract and orange zest and beat well.
5. Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a separate bowl then gradually add these ingredient uno the egg and sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
6. Pour this mixture into the bowl containing the carrots and raisins and incorporate using a wooden spoon or spatula until they are evenly blended.
7. Carefully spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling them to about two-thirds full. Bake in the over for about 20-25 minutes (depending on the size of your cupcake) the cupcakes will be quite dark brown in color and feel ‘spongy’ to the touch.
8. Remove from the oven and leave cakes in their tins for about 10 mins before carefully placing on a wire rack to cool.
9. To make the icing, in the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the butter and icing sugar for about 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
10. Beat in the orange zest, juice and cream cheese for about a minute until blended. Frost cupcakes once they are cool.