1 large or 400g eggplant, cut in half
Olive oil, for brushing
1 tablespoon plain yogurt
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice, more if you like it tangier
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (eliminate if you prefer it mild)
1/4 teaspoon sumac, for garnish
Toasted pine nuts, for garnish
Parsley leaves, for garnish
1-2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Cut a few slits in the skin of the eggplant, then halve lengthwise.
3. Sprinkle eggplant flesh sparingly with salt and let it sit for a few minutes to sweat out its bitterness, then dab dry with a paper towel. Brush sparingly with olive oil.
4. Place the eggplant halves, flesh side down, on a lightly oiled baking sheet then drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the 425 degree F heated-oven for about 40 minutes or until the eggplant fully softens through. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool covered with a tea towel.
5. When the eggplant has cooled, scoop the flesh out and place in a large bowl. (discard the eggplant skins).
6. Add yogurt, tahini, garlic, lime juice, and spices. Now beat all ingredients together using a fork or whisk until fully incorporated. Taste and adjust salt, cayenne pepper and pepper to your liking.
7. Place the dip in a serving bowl. Just before serving, top with a sprinkle of sumac, olive oil, toasted pine nuts and parsley leaves. Enjoy with a side of warm pita bread.
– You can make this recipe ahead of time, refrigerate in an airtight container (it is best served within 2 days, but will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days). Before serving, bring the babaganoush to room temperature.
– For fussy kids and husbands who gag at the sight of eggplant, place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Garnish with a sprinkle of sumac, olive oil, toasted pine nuts and parsley leaves. Trust me, they won't know this amazing dip is made with eggplant.
-This recipe serves four, simply double the recipe for a larger party.